Thursday, January 3, 2019

Happy New Year! 2019

Happy New Year, all! 

I am starting this year with a post about my "chalkboard" art. We have a wipe-off board hanging in our living room that I have been changing every little bit, writing out a scripture or some saying that I want the family to notice. 

This first photo is the newest one that I have made specially for the beginning of this new year.


My very first piece was done around Thanksgiving time. I liked how it turned out.



It is difficult to take a picture because the board is so glossy. I am having to stand to the side for most of the photos so I won't be reflected in the mirror-like surface.


This "root of Jesse" attempt was my first try at a Christmas message. I liked it at first, but the more I looked at it every day, something just didn't sit well with me, and I had to erase it and begin again. I do have some ideas simmering in the back of my mind about this one, and maybe someday I will come up with a design that I really like. I have done a lot of "research" and collected lots of ideas that I hope I can cause to mesh into something special. SOME day.


My Christmas message ended up not being a scripture, but a line out of the carol "Joy to the World."
I found a beautiful calligraphy piece online, actually a thank you note, by the artist Holly Monroe, and used her border as a reference for my chalkboard art.
Thank You note by Holly Monroe
http://www.hollymonroe.com/portfolio.php?cc=7&id=10

I also tried to create a Christmas card for my family using her idea for my basis. My work does not come up to hers by a long shot! but here is what I produced, using fine tip markers. I printed out copies and attached them to gold and red cardstock. (I forgot to take a picture of the finished ones)


I have signed up for a Copperplate Calligraphy course that begins online the middle of January. I am looking forward to learning how to create some beautiful writing! Hopefully. I have ordered my supplies and am anxiously waiting for them to arrive. I have dug up my father's old inks and dip pens and tried to use them yesterday, but only one of the nibs is working for me, and it is not one that was recommended for the class I am going to be taking. I don't know if his old inks are still usable. I did find one bottle that I purchased a couple of years ago that is allowing me to practice a little, but it is not the best quality, and I really don't know the proper method of holding the pen yet, so I am having to wait! So hard to do! 😃





No comments:

Post a Comment