Sunday, November 18, 2018

Williamsburg Va and South Carolina

More pages from my travel/art journal about our vacation back in October of 2017. We had a great late lunch at The Trellis in Colonial Williamsburg!


 The food was really delicious, and was served on slabs of black rock, granite I guess. The french fries and fried potato chips were presented in little wire baskets like the large ones that are used in deep-fat frying. We liked the water flasks with the restaurant name etched on the side. If you needed more water for your glass, a new flask was brought out instead of a pitcher.


We enjoyed walking around Colonial Williamsburg, seeing all the beautiful buildings. The kids and the husband posed in the stocks for pictures. I could not bring myself to do that, because I did not know if I could get out of it by myself! This church is still an active congregation. The ancient tombstones were fun to read.

On Merchants Square, we spent a lot of time in the Scotland House store and ended up looking up our family name and coat of arms and the clan tartan. I don't think the plaid was available. The illustration I painted here is not the clan plaid.

When we finally left Williamsburg, we headed on down the road to South Carolina. We arrived at our friends' place after dark after driving two hours in heavy rain. They had a late snack ready for us - Hello Dolly Bars and HOT SC Ginger Ale, which was quite an experience. I mean spicy not, not steaming hot.



Our friends have a beautiful property and an older home. I loved their front porch! The next morning we walked around their place a while  and afterwards went to a nature park in a swamp. The kids got to kayak a while, and were disappointed that they saw no alligators! 





No comments:

Post a Comment