Tuesday, March 17, 2020

New Portrait Painting Completed

Yay! I did apply myself, and finished (or decided to stop working on) the painting I had started so many months ago, of my son holding a newborn baby goat on his shoulders. After I got in gear and attacked this project, it progressed fairly well, until I was practically finished. I kept making his face darker and darker until I knew I had passed what was right, and had to scrub all that work off to try to fix it. I am sure one can find more work to do on it, but I decided not to do any more for fear of making a hole in my paper. So the finished piece does not exactly look like the photograph I was using for my reference, but it is time to say, "Enough!" Here are pictures of the different phases of the painting.

Starting point, March 6, 2019

March 8. 2019

March 11. 2019

March 19. 2019

Then I put the painting away, for almost a whole year!

Resuming work March 6, 2020

March 9, 2020 afternoon update

March 9, 2020 evening update

March 10, 2020 afternoon update

March 10, 2020 evening update


March 12, 2020

Deciding to call it finished, March 14, 2020
(this is the reworked face, after scrubbing off the too-dark original)

The local yearly member's only art show at the Art Center is coming up in April. That has been the deadline that got me going again on this painting. Originally the date was April 2, but now with the Corona virus precautions being implemented, the show has been rescheduled for April 16. This gives me a little more time to maybe get another piece together to enter, also! I usually have entered a watercolor painting and a pencil drawing, so (excuse the pun) it is "back to the drawing board!"



No comments:

Post a Comment